Six Weeks Before Moving
Print and check off the tasks as you complete them.
| 1. Plan a date
for a garage sale.
2. Distribute unwanted items to local charity (Goodwill, Salvation Army, Churches etc.)
3. Clean rugs and clothing and have them wrapped for moving.
4. Request a final bill for all utilities. Have electric turn off day after move. You many need the electric on for some emergency use.
5. Pay all outstanding bills.
6. Obtain x-rays, medical and dental records from your current Doctor and Dentist. Ask them for referrals and transfer prescriptions.
7. Transfer memberships Churches, Clubs, etc.
8. Close bank account and have your funds wired to your new bank. Be sure all checks have cleared.
9. Carry jewelry and documents yourself or use registered mail.
10. Carry enough cash or travelers checks to cover unexpected expenses.
11. Pack a separate suite case for your possessions that will travel with you. Example at less one change of clothing for everyone, personal hygiene, etc.
12. Plan for transporting pets.
13. Arrange for help on moving day. And arrange for someone to look after the children on moving day.
14. Give a close friend or relative your travel route and schedule so you may be reached if needed.
15. Plan SURVIVAL PACKAGE in case you have to wait for the movers: paper plates, towels,soap, toilet pape, bedding items, toys to occupy children/snacks.
16. Put a change of address with the Post-Office. Always fill out two leave one with the mailman who delivers your mail and give the other to the new mailman.
If you are not sure of your new address have your mailman hold your mail until you send him a change of address.The Post Office can hold your mail up to 30
days before your mail is returned. A faster way is to Call your credit cards, loan payments, car payments, and any other important payments to the billing
department of the company you owe the payment too. But do put in a change of address.